Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Horse Who Lived

Pardon me, as I take a brief reprieve from posting my Savvy Auntie articles. I'm going to give a bit of back-story for this piece. I was enrolled in a class called Horses in Literature (a delightful class, really), and our midterm and final were to, as a class, create content for a publication that would be put out by The Feral Press. This publication would be sold at various times to benefit the LIU Post Equestrian Team. It was a delightful endeavor, and the first good use made of exam-time I had ever encountered. This fable, "The Horse Who Lived" was published in the midterm publication (as well as two of the photographs I took, which will appear below). First, here is what the finished publication looked like:








Now, for your reading enjoyment (I hope), here is the fable:




"The Horse Who Lived"

by Veronica Spettmann

Once there was a horse who had everything a horse could want. His stable was clean, he was well-fed, and his owner doted on him. At the end of his life, the horse said to his owner, "I thank you for a peaceful existence. I only wish I could have really lived." Years later, a different horse broke free from this owner and ran into the wilderness. He was chased by wolves, survived harsh winters, and was left to find his own food and water. He found a mate and had many offspring. At the end of his life, he turned to his offspring and said, "My life has been dangerous and hard, but I have reaped the benefits of my own hard work and perseverance. I have truly lived." A safe, quiet life is not always living.


And for fun, here are the photographs I took which are included in the publication. These are the color versions, though they appear in black and white in the booklet. 


This was my first foray into publishing outside the realm of journalism. I have more of these to post amidst the mass of Savvy Auntie work I did!

Best regards,

Veronica
 

No comments:

Post a Comment